Skip to main content

Week 13 Story: The Well Trained Dog

Once upon a time, there was a king a lived in a kingdom that he loved very much. The king was well liked and he was known to be a kind man. One day he decided he wanted a dog as a pet. He called upon one of his workers and told him to find the most special dog he could. The worker did exactly that, he traveled all over until he came upon a man that gave him a small puppy. This puppy had the brightest blue eyes that anyone had ever seen and his coat had the most beautiful shades of white and grey. The worker knew this was a special dog, so he paid the man and returned back to the kingdom. When he returned he presented the puppy to the king, he was ecstatic. He knew the dog was special and he could not wait to show him off.
The king put his dog on the most exotic leash he could find and went out to walk around the kingdom. People were stopping in their tracks to look at the dog. Everyone who saw this puppy was amazed at its beauty and poise. The dog didn't bark, bite or disobey, it was amazing. As they continued their walk the king started to become frustrated, everyone was paying attention to the dog and not him. When they returned to his castle he was angry and ordered the dog trainer to take the dog away for 3 months and make sure he is perfectly trained.
Three months passed and the trainer brought the dog back to the king. The king was still bitter that the dog had gained so much attention so he decided to put the dog to the test. The king began to ask the trainer to make the dog do absurd things. He asked him to walk on his hind legs, do a back flip and howl in the tune of a song. The trainer began to become frustrated, as did the king. The king then asked the trainer to make the dog fly. The trainer leaned over to the dog and whispered something to him, the dog looked at the king and flew away. After the dog was gone the trainer told the king that he did not deserve a dog so special and so well trained. 
The dog went on to find a home with a family who appreciated everything he did.


Author's Note: I based this story off of "The Well Trained Elephant." In that story it is about an elephant who is born and gifted to a king, the king goes on to show off his elephant but becomes extremely jealous when the elephant gains more attention than him. The king goes on to make ridiculous requests of the elephant and finally the trainer tells the elephant to fly away because the ing does not deserve an animal so amazing. I chose to write a very similar story but instead I chose to use a dog and I changed up the requests asked of the animal. 
Bibliography: "The Well Trained Elephant" By: Marie L. Shedlock

Comments

  1. Hey Marie! I just wanted to say that I loved your story! Wow! I can see that you put a lot of hard work and creativity into your writing! You also grabbed my attention and had it till the very end! Therefore, keep up the good work! I look forward to reading more of your stories! Good luck with the rest of your semester! It is close to being over! Also, have a good Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Marie! I really enjoyed your story! I like how you transitioned from an elephant to a dog, as in modern times people are more used to the idea of dogs being trained. I am also bias towards dogs because I am finally going to get one after this last year of college. And, I love the image you chose because I want a husky, which looks similar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Marie! Great job with this story! I really like the way you changed it to make it about a dog! It made the story relatable. The picture you chose is also adorable. I love huskies and his blue eyes are so cute. I would love to have a flying dog. It would be so cool. Anyway, good job! I look forward to reading more of your stories!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Paige!
    I enjoyed reading your story! I liked how you changed it and wrote it about a dog instead of an elephant. You story was well written and had my attention throughout it. Also, I love the picture of the dog you chose. It's so cute! Anyways, I hope your semester is going well and great job on the story!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Paige, cool story! I wonder if the original story is in any way, shape, or form related to the story of Dumbo. That is what came to my mind when I heard of a flying elephant. I think you did a good job retelling this story without overcomplicating it too much. I would love to see more of what the dog does after, or maybe a description of how he learned to fly though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Paige! I liked your variation on the first story. In the original, how did the king end up with an elephant? Was it given as a gift or did he seek one out as a pet? You did a good job of making the king's bad character clear through his temper and jealousy. It was also good that you gave him consequences for his actions and gave the dog to someone who would treat him well. Good story!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Paige,
    I really enjoyed reading your story. I thought it was interesting how the king was not satisfied with having the most amazing dog in the world. He also wanted everyone to be impressed by him and pay attention to him instead of the dog. I think changing the elephant in the original story to a a dog in your story was a good choice.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall

My Storybook . Image Information

Introduction to me

My name is Paige Phillips, Im 21 and I am currently a senior here at OU. Im from Tulsa, Oklahoma and I always knew that I wanted to come to OU. I am the youngest of two brothers and I have two amazing parents. I also have a wiener dog named oscar, he is the best dog ever if I do say so myself. My major is criminology with a minor in social justice, I plan on going to law school this next Fall. I love my major and one day I hope to be a prosecutor for the child crisis unit. This past summer I had an internship with a law firm and I absolutely loved it, I am extremely exited for my future career. I am a member of Delta Delta Delta and have made some amazing friends through the greek experience. In my spare time I like to hangout with my friends and occasionally go see movies. In the future I would also like to travel to Greece, it is on my bucket list to go there some day. I think Greece is one of the most beautiful countries. Another fact about me is that I love Chinese food,  it has al